Friday, April 21, 2006

tonga | role of the youth parliament

Lepolo Taunisila
Member of Parliament
Legislative Assembly of Tonga

Being chosen to be a lead member of any vital meeting, you are obligated with certain responsibilities whereby you’re fulfilling them with your BEST. If there’s any proposed meeting or being called upon one you must firstly understand and be sure that there’s going to be benefits and disadvantages of such proposals. Nevertheless, one must accept both in relation to you like being criticized. However not to mention your esteem and pride has been restored outside the meeting you’re joining following the approval of the members.
  
When I was chosen to be a member of the YOUTH PARLIAMENT (YP), I then understood that there’s a certain amount of trust invested in me and my given tasks, in comparison to the result of the campaign providing that the consequences of the issues I support will be beneficial for the development of all youths of Tonga as a whole.

However, the PARLIAMENT or the Legislative Assembly of Tonga is one HOUSE and consist of three main tables who own the right to discuss, People’s- People’s Rep and the Noble’s Table-Honorary Representatives of the people’s land and settlement and the Governments Table headed by the  PM- Performing administration interactions regarding citizens.

It has been 3 ongoing year for me to join the YP gathering in different areas and to be a member of the YP you have to register in that certain area you are willing to take side from. For instance; Peoples’ Representative Candidate, Noble’s Representative Candidate and a Candidate to be a Ministers and Prime Minister. The age given for members to join youths is 14-35 subjected to vote as a member of the YP. This election though is done individually on one’s own island where you register from whereas the Prime Minister’s election is voted nationally.

The 3 main tables of the Parliament differd function wise throughout the past 3yrs in which I have been a member. In the year 2003 I was the No. 1 People’s Representative for my island Vava’u and the 2nd Rep was a male subject. We traveled to the main island Nuku’alofa with the needs and demands of Vavauans.

To the extent; in my view of myself as a female, first time to become a MP, I wanted the first day of our session to be my day of learning. To watch how a speech is delivered and an experience suitable for me to perform.

The main issue of discussion this very year was for the YOUTHS OF TONGA to have its own separate Ministry or Department. The first day of the Parliament all members revealed their needs and reasons why YOUTHS should have their separate ministry – The Government doesn’t provide enough funding in comparison to the work developments YOUTH are capable of.-Majority of the problems in Tonga are caused by Youths and by having its own ministry will be a main contribution to solving the problems by having more organized PROGRAMS for them.
  
This was opposed mainly by the Government table saying that there is not enough funding to this separate ministry providing that there is a vast amount of money needed in order to carry this out as well as the problems caused by youth; there are laws and punishments by law already approved for such. At the same time the People’s Rep’s questioned the Government expenses and acknowledging them that those are wasted findings.

The session went on until the evening session of the 2nd day I was able to have a chance to talk. At that very moment I was able to tell that the Government’s Table was disappointed knowing that they will refuse to listen to any motion proposed from the People’s table. While the meeting continued I was thinking of a way that we can actually agree on. When my chance finally came up I firstly acknowledged that THERE IS a problem occurring and continued on to one of the many skills of women being able to enticement! I then requested during my moment of enticement for the Government to do something about the YOUTH of Tonga. It’s already understood though that they have done a great deal but should have taken note of the level; Youths. This skillful tactic of women; enticement mellowed down the Government Table and so wanted to listen to my motion and as a result accepting my proposal upon other conditions such as handing in a Draft Proposal and Work Strategies so that they’ll be able to look up this separate Ministry.

In the year 2004, I was a Candidate for Minister’s Table winning also the vote of the YP. Prime Minister that year chose me to be the Attorney General and Minister of Justice up to the year 2005.The most important issue being forming up a National Youth Policy to run the separate Ministry we have asked for earlier (2003).I was from the Government’s Table reminding that there is now a Ministry but still without a Proposal nor a Work Strategy for the Government to assess. I highlighted to the other tables that there are applicable punishments to motions proposed and any new board or ministry established according to my knowledge its policies must always be formed in accordance with the Work Strategies proposed. This proposed motion for the youth to have a different Ministry is still without any Proposal, none altogether and there can be any such time that someone will waste his /her time forming up Any Policy without a proposal. So I then proposed if they are that unorganized then they should propose to the Government table being moved to a much smaller department with a lesser portfolio like the Ministry Of Labour. I then continued on to saying that they should’ve realized how certain departments of the Government are still within one Ministry like Agriculture and Fisheries, Prison and Fire Service. Those are bigger departments and have larger tasks assigned to them. Agriculture and Fisheries provide income through certain artifacts and it has been years for them trying to have their own ministry mind you with different proposals but as for your case you will not be accepted to do so.

The session was carried forward to the issue of Working Strategies proposed by the Minister of Health for the YP 2004 if it would be possible to form up a policy about children using ID’S (Identification Card) when buying liquor. According to the Hospital’s Record there is a very high number of affected children under the age 18 the cause being consuming tobacco and he believes that having those id’s will help reduce the problem in regard the healthiness of human beings. I then, clearly stated to my Co-Rep that the law for selling tobacco was just revised recently in 2000 incorporated with the Ministry of Labour to ensure that the smaller retail shops do not sell tobacco individually for this is how the children can afford a cigarette. Instead it’s wiser to sell it in packets. Here the penalties implied upon such small retails stores for such performances were put forward whereby their business license can be disregarded if they continue to do so.

Furthermore this year YP in March I registered as a Prime Minister Candidate (PM election are elected inter island).When I won the election I was both happy and a bit frustrated from the assigned tasks  I was responsible for wanting the best out of  being prepared as well as my general knowledge regarding my position. My knowledge regarding every Ministry and how they interact within the Govt. We opened the Parliament with 14 Ministers (5 of which were females,2 from the People’s Reps Table and 1 from the Noble’s Table)

I invested a lot of time thinking out how to express my ideas. Seeing that I am going to be from the Government Table and I have to support them as well. At the same time I was chosen by the whole of Tonga. As a consequence I changed my mind to remain neutral because I am not only the Government’s PM but the PM for the whole of Tonga and in remaining so I will neutralize (to the most possible) and conclude for them in the end to make it most satisfying for each and every member of the TNYC 2006.

Being female and a lead member of the Parliament another issue raised to discuss proposed by the People’s Rep (who was a male) to increase the punishment years for the Accused in raping charges (OF WOMEN).The session went on and according to my view his suggestion was not well supported and unorganized with according to the Constitution of the House. During his speech I asked him if he could identify whether his proposal was a motion or a BILL. He answered promptly that it was of both. But according to my knowledge of Parliaments Work Strategies proposed he is wrong and my intention of questioning him was to reveal the right thing for him to do and how his proposal should have been like resulted with him shouting, “You are a woman and yet you want less punishment for abusers of your own gender?”. I was confused, furious and did the wrong thing instead, I yelled back at him to listen to what I say because it is right and not only that but I also told the other members of the meeting to disregard his motion because it was unorganized and do not say that as the people are listening and you are misleading the female audiences and took it wrong that I do not support them! “And you rather be quiet and do not make me go further on you”.

My response was much different compared to that of the 2 reps of the Niuas which is farther from Nukualofa asking if the price for traveling by ferry can be reduced. But according to the report from the PM’s office they are watching an extra on this situation providing that it is only those 2 islands prize are subsidized. My answer was to acknowledge that it was TRUE and indeed they ARE the only 2 islands being subsidized and there is a certain amount of money that the Government pay for every voyage (ie: TOPT$300,000.00).I also proposed the cost of operation of the shipping company and that it is a unsuccessful attempt to cover up the loss from every voyage to the Niuas and if they are requesting for a half prize it is now going to be unfair for the rest of the Kingdom. I then concluded by proposing the way of requesting despite that everything is understood, for them to  ask the Government to exclude the Tariff Charges and Fuel Surcharges as well.

Overall in my position as a woman AND socializing with the rest of the members for the past three years. In Tonga it is traditional for women to be respected it is not a law but on every heart of  a Tongan this is  well understood. Nowadays things are so much different sometimes they are respected and at most times they are not, according to my firm view there are aspects and ways of working for your pride inorder to gain the respect of many.

Inside the Parliament when I was a People’s Rep or shall I put it as when you’re still questioning and curious about the Government rather, if there’s something for this and anything for that? When I was on this side my feelings was that the Govt is doing absolutely nothing! My work strategy however was carried out like this, I clearly state my motions support them with evidences mainly from surveys then continued on to lobbying, requesting as we speak and finally conclude with teary moments thanking their acceptation of my motions without voting at all.

From the Government Table the responses given to questions and clarifying them usually comes out unclear and performing such functions as well. To me I felt disappointed being in this table. Seeing that the other especial the People’s Representatives Table state things that untrue. The performance of  most of the members while questioning gets a bit over the boundaries which angers me to refuse from accepting their proposals and at most times agree to them as long as they’re satisfied knowing that this will take ages to do anything about this which is not the right things to do!

My position as a Prime Minister; to balance motions and conclude them I always make an attempt to respond clearly to the questioner that his/her motion is understood. Referring afterwards to the Ministry in which the questions are implied to to answer the question. Providing the right answer and not to be biased and on some cases if I could lend a helping hand to the Minister answering I would then help out.

Anyhow, those are the experiences I have went through and also note that they are work strategies designed by myself in my own time. I am not saying that this is the rightful way to do it because everyone is unique. But according to my beliefs your well being as a lead member rests in your capabilities YOU as a woman. BY RESPECTING OTHERS,OTHERS WILL RESPECT YOU. Like what the bible says do unto others as other will do unto you.

No comments: